Cemetery was the first recorded land for burial purposes in Tazewell County. On 5
May 1841, one acre of land was sold for $5.00 by Horace and Ellen Richmond to Michael
Trout, William Sterling, and James Broyhill (Trustee of the burial ground) to be used for
the benefit of the inhabitants of Tennessee Point -- "to be used for graveyard or
burying ground and for not other purposes whatsoever." (Deed Records Volume 11,
actually contains three cemeteries - the rear section is the original Tennessee Point, the
southeast section is the Black Walnut addition, and the southwest contains the Briggs
Cemetery (which was moved here).