Public Library & TCGHS
We will search the TCGHS obituary files and make one trip to the Pekin Public Library to check the newspaper obituary file index for a fee of $5.00 for each obituary with a known death date. Obituaries with only a known death month and year are $10.00 per hour. However, not all obituaries are in the index. Pekin Times obituaries are available beginning about 1916.
The Tazewell County Genealogical & Historical Society has compiled an index for 1898 - 1938 marriages using the original returned marriage licenses which were in storage at the Tazewell County courthouse. These indexes may be consulted and/or purchased at our library or purchased by mail order. Or, we can research them for you for a small fee.
TCGHS also scanned the original 1898-1938 licenses. The society will provide a non-certified copy of the scanned license for $5.00. Please provide Groom, Bride, and Date of Marriage. Here's how to order!
Limited research will be performed at the Tazewell County courthouse for a donation of $5.00 plus copy charges and/or applicable document fees as described below. Subject to change.
Please specify the records you wish searched:
- Non-certified copies of Marriage, Birth, or Death records prior to 1916 - $5.00 document fee. You must purchase certified records as priced below for dates starting in 1916. Please be aware that birth and death records were not always recorded prior to 1916.
- Certified Birth records (beginning in 1878) - $15.50 document fee.
- Certified Death records (beginning in 1878) - $19.50 document fee.
- Certified Marriage records (beginning in 1827) - $14.50 document fee.
- Probate Records - $8.00 - includes $5.00 TCGHS donation plus $3.00 for postage and up to three pages of copy. We will bill you if there are additional pages to copy.
- Naturalization Records - $3.00 for postage and up to three pages of copy. We will bill you if there are additional pages to copy. (Our society has extracted and published these records. The documents give no more information than is found in our publications.)
Land Records - $10.00/hour plus copy charges and postage (usually around $3.00). If it takes more than one hour or six copies, we will bill you for the difference. We need the approximate date of land ownership and/or land description.
We can now take cemetery photographs for you with a digital camera. For a $10.00 nonrefundable donation, our volunteers will:
- Drive to a cemetery and find your ancestor's grave.
- Take a photograph of the cemetery entrance, a medium distance shot of the plot, and a close-up of the marker.
- Take photographs of any additional graves at the same cemetery for only $2.00 each.
- Send you your photos electronically attached to an email or posted on a website where you can download them at your convenience. Or, we can send them by mail on a CD-ROM or a black & white printed copy from an HP 4050 laser printer. Your choice of one, please!
- Color copies from an HP 895 inkjet printer are available for an additional $2.00/photo.
Photographs of other subjects will be taken at similar costs. All proceeds from the Photo Service go into the society's computer fund.
We will copy pages from our newsletters, county history books, microfilms, etc. for $.25/page plus $1.00 postage & handling.
All Other Research
All other research requests not previously listed will be billed at $10.00 per hour which includes 3 copies. One hour of research must be paid in advance. Each additional hour will be billed at $10.00 per hour and 25¢ per page. You must authorize any additional hours. Otherwise, we'll only spend one hour on your request.
Drop us an email outlining your needs for an estimate of cost.
Make all checks payable to TCGHS and send research request (along with self addressed envelope and two (2) unaffixed stamps) to Tazewell County Genealogical & Historical Society, PO Box 312, Pekin, Illinois 61555-0312. If you'd prefer paying online via PayPal we can send you an email invoice (we must charge $1 service fee to offset the PayPal fee we must pay) - just email us.
No research will be done until initial fees are received. Research requests are processed by our volunteers as quickly as possible in first-come first-served order. Please allow at least 8 weeks for response.